Friday, August 22, 2008

Pattern Recognition

If someone could observe our nighttime routines for a week, and tell me what is different on the nights when Pumpkin sleeps well (defined as waking only once to nurse, and then sleeping until at least 6 a.m.) versus the nights when she does not sleep well (defined as several periods of wakefulness, perhaps with some unexplained screaming and a refusal to allow Daddy to calm her, followed by waking up at 5:30 a.m. or earlier), I would be very happy.

As it is, I suspect we are looking for a pattern where none exists, and are actually at the whim of random luck. It is a bit like sleep roulette. I go to bed, never knowing how long I'll get to sleep.

So maybe what I need is a sleep charm? Or some superstitious system by which I try to guarantee a good night?

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous6:20 PM

    I'm not sure I should say this, but how about a glass of wine before nursing?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I know that superstitious feeling. I wonder if it's the pyjamas, the blanket, the dinner, the whatever... Swee'pea started sleeping through the night consistently almost two weeks ago now (a week and a half?) and I have absolutely no explanation. But I would say out of 10 nights, he's slept through like 7 or 8 times. It's absolutely unprecedented.

    Anyways, over the last year+, I've tried to relax on those superstitions, to let go. I've not been entirely successful, and but it can be so crazy-making...

    Sadly, I know this latest respite will not last long, so I just have to enjoy it and not depend on it being the end of our sleep woes.

    All that to say merely, I feel your pain...

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you find the miracle charm, please let me know pronto!

    I always assume it's the teeth. One night they moved further to the surface, and that keeps her up. Some nights they keep still, and she's able to sleep more. I just blame everything on the teeth.

    ReplyDelete

Sorry for the CAPTCHA, folks. The spammers were stealing too much of my time.